Did you develop up with Hash Brown Casserole? We certain did! It’s a wealthy casserole facet dish of frozen hash browns baked in a creamy sauce, topped with a buttery cornflake topping. That is the very best from-scratch model. It’s straightforward to make and the perfect facet for any gathering. Everybody loves it!
Hash brown casserole tastes like pure consolation.
- It’s straightforward to make for a crowd.
- It freezes and reheats like a dream.
- You may serve it for all the pieces starting from a breakfast hash brown casserole, to a facet with a vacation dinner, to events that earned it the nickname, “funeral potatoes” and “occasion potatoes”.
The truth is, I’ve eaten hash brown casserole for Christmas Eve dinner (and Thanksgiving), at household reunions, and, sure, at my grandma’s funeral.
Put one other means: it’s a hug from the within that hits the spot each time.
Why Make Hash Brown Casserole from Scratch
Most traditional 5-ingredient hash brown casserole recipes (and even copycat Cracker Barrel hash brown casseroles), contain cans of “cream of” soup, pints of bitter cream, and/or cheese out of a bag.
No offense to these traditional casseroles (or to Cracker Barrel—I’ve a gentle spot for his or her biscuits), however when I’m craving consolation meals, I need greater than a can of this and a bag of that.
We’d like from scratch hash brown casserole, made with easy, actual substances.
It’s straightforward and WORTH IT! You may style the love.
The one even doubtlessly time-consuming half could be to rice the potatoes, and fortuitously, due to frozen hash browns, that work is finished for us.
5 Star Overview
“We had this for dinner final night time. LOVED it! So a lot taste! We will likely be having this repeatedly!”
— Maebell —
How you can Make Hash Brown Casserole
That is hash brown casserole with out soup, with out bitter cream, and I’m going to ask you to go a bit additional distance and grate your individual cheese to verify it’s as supremely creamy and melty as potential.
You higher imagine we’re making this crispy hash brown casserole with corn flakes on high, nonetheless.
That topping is likely one of the greatest components!
- Frozen Hash Browns. The handy base for our hash brown casserole. You’ll want one 30- to 32-ounce bag. Frozen hash browns are each a timesaver AND you really obtain higher outcomes than should you use freshly grated potatoes, as a result of the thawed hash browns are drier. Save your hash brown efforts for Candy Potato Hash Browns and Cauliflower Hash Browns as a substitute.
- Milk + Hen Broth + Butter + Cornstarch. Neglect the hen soup in a can! You may create your individual creamy base from this easy listing of substances as a substitute.
- Greek Yogurt. Secret ingredient #1. It’s how we get away with making a wealthy hash brown casserole with out bitter cream.
I don’t suggest fat-free Greek yogurt for this recipe, as it could curdle and won’t make the casserole as wealthy and satisfying.
A 7-ounce-sized small container of yogurt will yield the right quantity for this recipe (Fage sells one this measurement).
- Poultry Seasoning. Secret ingredient #2 for a from-scratch casserole that has the nostalgic taste of the cream of soup, with out cream of hen soup itself.
- Worcestershire Sauce. Secret ingredient #3. It provides the casserole depth and savoriness.
- Seasonings. Garlic powder, onion powder, and mustard powder make this hash brown casserole the very best model of itself.
- Cheese. We’re making a tacky hash brown casserole. Cheddar makes the casserole creamy and wealthy; Parmesan provides nuttiness and a contact of saltiness. And hey, cheese has calcium!
- Corn Flakes. It’s not crispy hash brown casserole with out the topping!
- Pat the hash browns dry.
- Prepare dinner the butter and flour collectively.
- Whisk within the spices, milk, and broth. Prepare dinner till thickened.
- Stir within the cheese, Greek yogurt, and hashbrowns.
- Coat corn flakes with melted butter and sprinkle on high.
- Cowl the casserole dish with aluminum foil. Bake hash brown casserole at 350 levels F for 40 minutes, then uncover and bake 12 minutes extra. Broil for 1-2 minutes on the finish.
- To Retailer. Refrigerate leftovers for as much as 5 days.
- To Reheat. Rewarm leftovers in a baking dish in a 350 levels F oven (greatest methodology) or gently within the microwave.
- To Freeze. You may freeze this whole casserole both baked or unbaked for 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge, then bake as directed.
Meal Prep Tip
You can also make quaint hash brown casserole as much as 2 days prematurely. Assemble to the purpose of baking (wait so as to add the topping so it doesn’t grow to be soggy) and refrigerate. When able to bake, add the topping, then bake as directed.
What to Eat with Hash Brown Casserole
- Dutch Oven. This versatile piece will final a lifetime. I exploit mine virtually every day!
- Baking Dish. This one transitions seamlessly from oven to desk.
- Two-Sided Measuring Spoons. Excellent for recipes with a protracted listing of spices. You don’t have to cease between substances to scrub them!
The subsequent time the temper is consolation meals, this gentle hash brown casserole has your quantity.
I hope it finds a nostalgic place in your coronary heart (and tummy!) the way in which it has for us.
Often Requested Questions
In case your hash brown casserole is soggy, it’s probably because of the hash browns themselves. If you happen to didn’t thaw, drain, and dry them utterly earlier than making ready the casserole, they will make it very soggy.
Sure, you do have to thaw the frozen hash browns earlier than cooking. If you happen to neglect to thaw them in a single day, you may rapidly defrost the hash browns within the microwave. Place the frozen hash browns in a microwave-safe massive bowl, cowl, and warmth on 50% energy for two to three minutes, stirring as soon as midway by. Drain, pat dry, and use as directed.
Sure! Whereas this casserole is usually used as a facet dish for lunches or dinners, it’s delicious as a breakfast hash brown casserole too. Serve hash brown casserole with eggs, breakfast sausage, bacon, and even an egg casserole (like Wholesome Breakfast Casserole).
This tasty casserole is gorgeous and scrumptious as is, however you possibly can sprinkle some chopped contemporary parsley or chives on high for a festive garnish.
For the Casserole:
- 30 to 32 oz frozen shredded hash browns defrosted
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 1% or 2% milk use complete milk for a richer sauce; don’t use skim
- 2 cups low sodium hen broth divided (should be low sodium, or the casserole will likely be too salty)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese about 6 ounces
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup full-fat plain Greek yogurt* about 7 ounces
For the Topping:
- 2 cups crushed cornflakes see weblog put up above for different choices
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
Place a rack within the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 9×13-inch casserole dish with nonstick spray.
Unfold the defrosted hash browns onto paper towels or a clear kitchen towel. Pat as dry as potential.
In a Dutch oven or very massive, deep skillet, warmth the butter over medium warmth. As soon as the butter has melted, sprinkle the flour excessive. Whisk and prepare dinner, stirring consistently, till the flour is golden brown and smells nutty, about 90 seconds (don’t shortcut this step, or you will have a uncooked flour style).
Scale back the warmth to low. Slowly add the milk and roughly half of the hen broth, whisking consistently to keep away from lumps.
Whisk cornstarch into the remaining broth till easy. Add to the skillet and whisk to mix.
Whisk within the Worcestershire, poultry seasoning, salt, mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper.
Carry sauce to a simmer over medium excessive warmth, whisking consistently. Proceed to prepare dinner and stir till the sauce is thickened, about 7 to eight minutes. Regulate the warmth as wanted so that you simply keep a continuing bubble however not an aggressive boil.
Take away the skillet from the warmth. Whisk in 1 cup of the cheddar and Parmesan till easily mixed. Whisk in Greek yogurt.
Add the dried hash browns and stir till evenly mixed.
Switch hash brown combination to ready baking dish and easy into a good layer. Evenly high with the remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheddar.
Put together the topping: Place the cornflakes in a small bowl and pour the melted butter excessive. With a spatula, stir till the corn flakes are evenly coated. Sprinkle excessive of the casserole.
Cowl the casserole with foil. Bake for 40 minutes, then uncover. Return to the oven and proceed baking till the casserole is scorching and bubbly, about 12 minutes extra.
Swap the oven to broil (maintain the pan on the middle rack). Broil till the topping is golden, about 1 to 2 minutes, watching the rigorously all the time to verify it doesn’t burn. Take away from the oven and let relaxation at the least 10 minutes. Take pleasure in!
- *I don’t suggest fat-free Greek yogurt right here, as it could curdle and won’t make the casserole as wealthy and satisfying. If you wish to go old fashioned, you may change it with bitter cream. I sometimes buy a 7-ounce sized small container (Fage sells one this measurement).
- TO STORE: Refrigerate leftovers for as much as 5 days.
- TO REHEAT: Rewarm leftovers in a baking dish in a 350°F oven (greatest methodology) or gently within the microwave.
- TO FREEZE: You may freeze this whole casserole both baked or unbaked for 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge, then bake as directed.
- MAKE AHEAD: Assemble the casserole to the purpose of baking as much as 2 days prematurely and refrigerate (wait so as to add the corn flake topping, as it will possibly grow to be soggy). When able to bake, add the topping, then bake as directed.
- TO USE FRESHLY GRATED POTATOES: Peel (optionally available) and grate the potatoes (you’ll want 6 cups or 2 kilos). Place them in a colander and rinse. Unfold them onto a clear kitchen towel and pat very dry. Change out the towel and pat once more to take away as a lot moisture as potential.
- HALVE IT. Recipe could halved and baked in an 8- or 9-inch sq. baking dish.
Serving: 1(of 10)Energy: 455kcalCarbohydrates: 63gProtein: 15gFats: 17gSaturated Fats: 10gPolyunsaturated Fats: 1gMonounsaturated Fats: 4gTrans Fats: 1gLdl cholesterol: 47mgPotassium: 500mgFiber: 3gSugar: 8gVitamin A: 1423IUVitamin C: 17mgCalcium: 249mgIron: 15mg
Be a part of at present and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite recipes and entry FREE meal plans.