On the MedCity INVEST convention, scheduled for Might 22-24 on the Ritz Carlton in Chicago, healthcare and life science startups have the chance to community and have interaction in salon-style discussions with buyers. These Ask the Investor classes will likely be held throughout the breakfast segments of INVEST on the mornings of Tuesday, Might 23 and Wednesday, Might 24. Startups must register to take part.
We’re spotlighting among the buyers participating in these classes. Rachel Kern is a Vice President with First Belief Capital Companions. Since she joined in 2016, she has led investments in a wide range of well being tech corporations, together with Predict Well being, Vycta, Third Eye Well being, and Script Well being.
What’s your agency’s funding technique?
First Belief Capital Companions, LLC (FTCP) invests in early and progress stage corporations throughout a number of industries however with a give attention to monetary companies and healthcare know-how. FTCP relies in Wheaton, Illinois. FTCP has made greater than 90 non-public investments over the 15 years since its inception.
FTCP invests stability sheet capital which affords us the flexibility to assist the expansion of compelling companies with disciplined persistence. We make investments as much as $5 million in preliminary funding whether or not by lead or co-investment technique. We give attention to long-term capital appreciation by significant engagement with our portfolio.
What are 1-3 issues you desire to entrepreneurs pitching you to maintain entrance of thoughts?
- Do your homework on the particular person you’re speaking to, as it should information the route and story of the pitch. Do they spend money on your sector? Do they spend money on the stage you’re elevating? Would they be a great companion?
- Be enthusiastic about what you’re pitching! We wish to again entrepreneurs which are obsessed with what they’re doing. Smile and sound excited even for those who made the pitch 1,000 instances with no success.
- Make your corporation mannequin and differentiation very clear. We wish to know what you’re on the lookout for and what makes you and your organization completely different.
What are among the simple fixes healthcare/life science startups could make to enhance their pitch?
- Grasp your elevator pitch. Buyers ought to know what you do and the issue you’re fixing throughout the first minute of your pitch.
- Verify for spelling and grammar errors! You’ll be shocked what number of errors we see in pitches.
- Keep away from acronyms with out defining them.
What was the final firm you invested in?
Karoo Well being, which offers end-to-end, tech-enabled, value-based cardiac care.
What subsector of well being tech or life science are you excited by in the intervening time?
The know-how that helps and permits new care fashions, particularly value-based care and likewise, dwelling / post-acute well being know-how.
Picture: drogatnev, Getty Photos