For those who’re in search of a straightforward and fast fish dinner with BIG flavors, strive our Pan Seared Cod. Made with tender and succulent cod fish seared in butter and laced in a lemony butter piccata sauce. That is a kind of cod recipes you’ll be making for dinner so fairly often.
Seafood and Fish recipes are the reply to our busy weeknight dinners, and our fancy dinner cravings! There’s one thing about fish that appears like a delicacy–particularly while you’re a fish lover like us. Perhaps it’s our Mediterranean background 🙂
The sweetness about cod fish is that it has an exquisite meaty texture, and it’s really easy to prepare dinner. We’ve made a Baked Cod Recipe not too way back, and it’s succulent! You too can use it in our most viral recipe on Pinterest, this Mediterranean Baked Fish. It’s my grandpa’s recipe and it’s perfection.
Whereas you can too fry cod fish per this Fish Fry recipe, it’ll take a couple of minutes longer because it’s a thick fish. You possibly can likewise use it in tacos like our Mahi Mahi Tacos as a result of it has a semi agency texture.
Immediately’s we’re highlighting cod recipes because the fish is so versatile. We’re making a lemon piccata like sauce, much like our Sockeye Salmon With Lemon Butter Sauce however barely lighter 🙂
Why You’ll LOVE Pan Seared Cod
- It’s fast and simple! Cooks in 20 minutes and requires no fussy tools or strategies!
- Cod fish is semi agency, but succulent so it holds on to the sauce completely.
- The flavors are AMAZING! Tremendous tasty and scrumptious cod recipe.
- You possibly can serve it with fries, rice, pasta, Garlic Bread, salad and a lot extra!
- It’s nutritious and wealthy but feels tremendous gentle.
- You may make it for a celebration simply because it holds effectively.
- This cod recipe is one pot meal.
Elements You’ll want
- Cod fish. Use contemporary or thawed frozen fillets of cod. You too can use pores and skin on or skinless as we now have right here.
- Flour. We love seasoning our flour with salt, pepper and contemporary oregano.
- Capers. For tang and texture within the pan sauce.
- Butter. To sear the fish and at last in direction of the top for thickening the sauce.
- Lemon. We use lemon slices, juice and zest of you like for final taste.
- Recent Oregano. You should use thyme, parsley or a combo.
- Inventory/Wine combination. You should use both or, or a combo of each to make the sauce.
- Oil. To assist sauté the fish.
- Salt and Pepper. Seasoning. You possibly can nevertheless use paprika, garlic, Italian spices for those who’d like.
Tips on how to Pan Sear Cod
- You’re going to start out with seasoning the cod fish on each side with simply salt and pepper. Thsi kind of fish could be very mildly flavored so it’s thought for our lemony buttery piccata sauce. And for that we evenly season the fish itself as we depend on the sauce.
- In a shallow plate add the flour and season the flour with salt, pepper and contemporary oregano. This seasoning step is totally non-compulsory, and you might use plain flour. We’ve discovered that seasoned flour provides 1 minute to our course of, however elevates the flavour by the miles.
- Dredge the cod fillets, separately into the flour plate. Ensure that to shake off any extra flour. It’s alleged to be evenly coated solely.
- Preheat a heavy obligation non stick skillet, we’ve used a ceramic dutch pan. Add 2 tablespoons of the butter and the oil. The oil permits the fish to prepare dinner with out burning the skin.
- Keep away from over crowding the skillet when sautéing the fish. For those who’re making a considerable amount of this cod fish recipe, repeat this step in batches.
- Sauté the fish till it’s golden on the skin. The flour coating will assist it flip golden faster and can defend the fish from breaking up when flipping. The flour additionally primarily helps thicken our sauce within the subsequent step.
Make the Piccata Sauce
- As soon as each side of the cod fillets have turned golden, you’re prepared to start out the sauce. The fish doesn’t must be essentially cooked by, as it’ll prepare dinner within the sauce.
- You’ll add within the inventory/wine combo or both or. Alongside you’ll add in lemon slices, contemporary oregano and drained capers. Then you definately’ll carry the sauce to a boil and decrease the warmth so the sauce can simmer.
- The liquid within the sauce has to cut back to about 50% and at that time you’re prepared so as to add within the remaining butter.
- Flip off the warmth totally and add within the chilly butter, one tablespoon at a time.
- Combine evenly the butter into your entire sauce and because it melts, the sauce will thicken much more. At that time the fish must be absolutely cooked and the sauce prepared.
Pan Seared Cod
defrosted and seasoned evenly with salt and pepper
all goal flour
every salt and pepper
or to style
contemporary or 1 teaspoon dried.
you may add 2 Tablespoons white wine to it
sprigs of contemporary oregano
or 1 teaspoon dried
Place the flour in a shallow plate and season with salt, pepper and the oregano.
Ensure that the cod is dry, or pat dry with paper towels. Season the fish evenly on each side.
Dredge each bit of cod loin into the flour combination and coat on each side.
Ensure that to take away the cod and shake off any extra flour earlier than cooking.
Preheat a skillet over medium excessive warmth with the oil and butter, and add within the cod loins.
Sear for 3-4 minutes per facet till golden. The fish wouldn’t be cooked by, simply seared with a golden crust.
Decrease the warmth to medium and add within the inventory, capers and lemon slices.
Carry to a boil and decrease the warmth to medium low, add within the herbs.
The sauce will thicken because it simmers. Cook dinner for five minutes till the sauce is prepared.
Trun off the warmth and slowly add within the chilly butter one tablespoon at a time, mixing it within the sauce.
Serve the cod with additional sauce.
Pan Seared Cod Suggestions
- Purchase high quality cod fish, whether or not contemporary or frozen. If frozen, make sure that to thaw the fish earlier than cooking. You are able to do so in a single day within the fridge or on the counter for about 2 hours.
- You should use pores and skin on or skinless cod fillets for this recipe.
- In case your fish feels moist (particularly for those who’re utilizing frozen fish that is thawed), pat dry the fillets utilizing paper towels earlier than seasoning.
- Seasoning the flour evenly with salt and pepper and oregano elevates the flavour tremendously.
- Keep away from crowding the pan when cooking the fish.
- The flour helps the fish not crumble aside as you flip it, and it thickens the sauce as effectively.
- It is best to make use of a non stick skillet for this recipe.
- Flip the cod when it is golden, however not essentially cooked by. The fish will proceed to prepare dinner within the sauce.
- Begin with the sauce when each side of the fish are golden.
- You should use inventory solely, or white wine solely or a combo of each as a liquid for the sauce.
- Simmer the sauce on low till it begins to evaporate and thicken barely, and that is when it is prepared for the butter.
- To ensure that the butter to emulsify and thicken your sauce, it’s good to flip off the warmth. And use chilly butter.
- Keep away from overcooking any fish generally, together with this recipe.
- You possibly can do that Baked Cod Recipe for those who love cod fish as a lot as we do!
What to Serve with Pan Seared Cod?
Any facet dish works nice! Rice is ideal. Scoop the fish and sauce over Air Fryer Baked Potato. This Lemon Olive oil Pasta is simply the proper combo for my part. Salads are one other nice possibility or simply bread.
Cod Recipe Variations
Do that scrumptious Baked Cod Recipe for a variation. Swap the herbs on this recipe, use rosemary or thyme as a substitute of oregano. Add a kick of spice by including in chilli flakes.
Tips on how to Retailer Leftover Cooked Cod?
Leftovers might be positioned in hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 3 days and reheated. You possibly can reheat the fish in a microwave, or in a non stick skillet, including 2 tablespoons additional inventory per fish and sauce till heated by.
How have you learnt when cod is absolutely cooked?
As with all fish recipes, when the fish is opaque it is cooked by. Additionally when the fish flakes simply with a fork, it has cooked by. When you’ve got a meat thermometer, you may place it in the course of the fillet and it must be at least 145 levels F.
Pan Seared Cod
Quantity Per Serving
Energy from Fats 243
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 12g75%
Trans Fats 1g
Polyunsaturated Fats 4g
Monounsaturated Fats 8g
Ldl cholesterol 432mg144%
Vitamin A 1260IU25%
Vitamin C 69mg84%
* % Each day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie food plan.