Right here’s a more healthy improve to the traditional New Orleans recipe: Pink Beans and Brown Rice!
UPDATE (2017): I initially posted this again in 2012 when the Tremendous Bowl was in New Orleans and Mardi Gras was approaching. I’ve up to date the pictures – get pleasure from!
Between the latest Tremendous Bowl in NOLA and Mardi Gras quick approaching, there’s a plethora New Orleans, Cajun, Creole recipes floating round and this Southern Wannabe is loving all of them.
This obtained me within the temper to make a giant pot of crimson beans and rice (although I understand an East Coast gal can’t actually produce the true factor however imitation is the sincerest type of flattery, proper?)
Some Pink Beans and Rice tidbits:
- Pink beans and rice has been a Monday meal custom for many years in New Orleans. On wash day (Mondays), ladies would put a giant pot of beans on the range to cook dinner all day as they did the laundry. The beans have been seasoned with leftovers from the Sunday ham and served over rice.
- The “Holy Trinity” of Cajun and Creole cooking is onions, celery and bell peppers and is the bottom for this dish.
- Cajun/Creole seasoning is a savory spice combine – with a little bit kick – often paprika, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, onion powder, oregano and thyme. Zatarians is a well-liked model.
- The crimson beans used are smaller and a bit sweeter than giant kidney beans (locals swear by Cameilla Pink Kidney Beans for this dish.)
I made a number of wholesome tweaks whereas nonetheless conserving that Cajun taste:
- swap in complete grain brown rice (I used brown basmati )
- swap in turkey kielbasa for andouille (much less fats however nonetheless a lot of warmth and spice)
- in the reduction of on the Cajun seasoning (as salt is often the primary ingredient) and add in smoked paprika for some further smoky taste
lazy method shortcut to make maintain it easy is to make use of canned crimson beans as a substitute of dried beans (in the event you can’t discover a low sodium model, at all times drain and rinse canned beans totally.) I used a canned model of the smaller crimson beans beneath the Westbrae natural label however in a pinch, crimson kidney beans will work, too.
For extra tastes of New Orleans, right here’s a Fast and Simple King Cake recipe and a recipe for Baked Beignets (I understand it is a bit sacrilegious, form of like used canned beans and turkey kielbasa for genuine crimson beans and rice!)
Irrespective of. Laissez les bon temps rouler!
Have you ever ever made crimson beans and rice? What’s your favourite Cajun, Creole or Louisiana dish?