This entry was posted on Apr 27, 2023 by Charlotte Bell.
Upward-Going through Canine Pose (Urdhva Mukha Svanasana) is likely one of the key parts in Solar Salutations (Surya Namaskara). It’s typically paired with its littermate Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward-Going through Canine Pose), but it surely’s a worthy pose in its personal proper. Downward-Going through Canine Pose would be the higher recognized of the 2, however on this put up we’ll let its less-famous sibling have its day.
Upward-Going through Canine Pose offers many advantages. Listed here are a couple of:
- Strengthens shoulders, arms, arms and wrists
- Counteracts the results of an excessive amount of sitting and bending ahead
- Can relieve decrease again ache
- Energizes the physique and thoughts
Upward-Going through Canine Pose is called for a loyal canine that seems within the Mahabarata. For those who’d wish to know in regards to the story behind the pose, try Zo Newell’s article in Yoga Worldwide.
Challenges and Options for Practising Upward-Going through Canine Pose
Urdhva Mukha Svanasana is a difficult pose. It strengthens the shoulders, arms, arms and wrists as a result of it challenges them. There’s a bent to break down into the shoulders, arms and wrists within the pose. In an effort to keep away from relying an excessive amount of on these constructions, it’s vital to interact the remainder of the physique within the pose as properly. The entire physique must contribute to the elevate within the pose. A Customary Yoga Bolster plus a pair Yoga Blocks may be extraordinarily useful in shifting the work within the pose to the decrease physique. This relieves stress in your arms and wrists. I’ll clarify tips on how to use these props within the directions beneath.
The opposite bodily problem in Upward-Going through Canine Pose is the tendency to emphasize the low again. For those who apply the pose along with your head thrown again so that you just’re trying on the sky, you’re most likely creating further stress in your again. Protecting your head in a impartial place on this pose helps to assist your low again. That is as a result of positioning of a small bone within the high of the throat, the hyoid bone. Right here’s a put up that explains tips on how to use the hyoid bone to assist the core in Chaturanga Dandasana (4-Limbed Workers Pose). You may apply this info to any pose, however for the susceptible backbends, it’s particularly useful.
Contraindications for Practising Upward-Going through Canine Pose
Earlier than we dive into practising the pose, I’d wish to share some conditions through which it is likely to be finest to keep away from practising Urdhva Mukha Svanasana:
- Accidents to your arms, wrists, shoulders or low again
- Second and third trimesters of being pregnant
- Current belly surgical procedure
- When you’ve got a headache, skip practising this pose.
Tips on how to Apply Urdhva Mukha Svanasana with a Yoga Bolster
- Collect your props: Yoga Mat, two Yoga Blocks, Customary Yoga Bolster.
- Place your bolster crosswise in your mat about ⅔ of the way in which towards the “head” finish of your mat. Place your blocks, shoulders-width aside, of their lowest setting, instantly in entrance of your bolster.
- Begin in Downward-Going through Canine Pose along with your arms in your blocks. You could discover that putting your arms on blocks shifts your weight again into your ft a bit greater than ordinary.
- Shift your entire physique ahead and decrease your hips onto your bolster. The hipbones ought to be resting on fringe of the bolster.
- Interact your legs by isometrically lifting them up towards the ceiling. Press your ft down into the ground.
- Press down into your arms to elevate the chest, maintaining your elbows bent. Maintain your head degree, trying straight forward.
- Take 5 to 10 deep breaths. Then shift again into Downward-Going through Canine Pose along with your arms in your blocks.
- Once you’re prepared, launch your knees down onto the ground and relaxation in Balasana (Little one’s Pose). You may relaxation your forearms and brow in your bolster for further consolation.
About Charlotte Bell
Charlotte Bell found yoga in 1982 and started instructing in 1986. Charlotte is the writer of Aware Yoga, Aware Life: A Information for On a regular basis Apply and Yoga for Meditators, each revealed by Rodmell Press. Her third ebook is titled Hip-Wholesome Asana: The Yoga Practitioner’s Information to Defending the Hips and Avoiding SI Joint Ache (Shambhala Publications). She writes a month-to-month column for CATALYST Journal and serves as editor for Yoga U On-line. Charlotte is a founding board member for GreenTREE Yoga, a non-profit that brings yoga to underserved populations. A lifelong musician, Charlotte performs oboe and English horn within the Salt Lake Symphony and folks sextet Pink Rock Rondo, whose DVD received two Emmy awards in 2010.